Tuesday, August 09, 2005

which Catholic teachings?

I don’t know about you, but whenever I hear or read about something like this, about the clear lines that Catholics in public office hold between their faith and their public office, I cringe. Partly because holding such lines is un-Catholic.

Then there’s the notion that Catholics in public office shouldn’t promote the teachings of the Church. I cringe then too. I mean, which Church teachings? I agree that public officials in their official capacity should NEVER promote the Church’s teaching on transubstantiation, the Immaculate Conception, the Petrine primacy, Papal infallibility, or even the Real Presence at the Eucharist. And Judge Roberts should NEVER promote those, I agree.

But promoting life by condemning murder (abortion, embryonic stem cell research) and upholding the institution of marriage I think are very promotable even by those in public office. These are universal principles, which should be held by all people of goodwill. These are not necessarily and exclusively “Catholic teachings.”

Powered by Blogger