Sunday, April 30, 2006

George W. pokes fun at himself

Since I devoted the previous post to Hillary, I thought I’d write about George W. at this one, in the spirit of bipartisanship.

I saw the President on TV yesterday poking fun at himself at the annual dinner for the White House Correspondents Association, with Steve Bridges alongside impersonating him. He looks convincingly just like George W. I couldn’t stop laughing.

Poking fun at his oratory skills, George W. said at one point: “I continue to spread our agenda globally and around the world, as well as internationally,” to howls of laughter from media people.

The president wasn’t the only butt of jokes last night. “Where’s the Great White Hunter?” Bridges asked.

The president responded: “I’m sorry Dick Cheney couldn’t be here tonight.”

“Dick Cheney’s such a goof ball,” Bridges continued. “He shot the only trial lawyer in the country who is for me.”

So this is good. Mocking oneself in front of the press and media people who are some of his most harshest critics is disarming, and endearing.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” the president said, “I am feeling chipper tonight. I survived the White House shakeup.”

But I think the best line was when Bush tried to repeat his impersonator’s words. Bridges said: "We must enhance non-compliance protocols sanctioned not only at IAEA formal sessions, but through intercessional contact."

And Bush repeated: "We must enhance non-compliance protocols sanctioned not only at E-I-E-I-O sessions, but through intersexual conduct."

Powered by Blogger