Saturday, April 09, 2005

the reading and the prayer for the second day of the novendiales

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John (21:15-17):

"[Jesus] said to Simon Peter, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?' Simon Peter answered him, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my lambs.' He then said to Simon Peter a second time, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me?' Simon Peter answered him, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' He said to him, 'Tend my sheep.' He said to him the third time, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me?' Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, 'Do you love me?' and he said to him, 'Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep.'"

Prayer:

Father, eternal Shepherd,
hear the prayers of your people
for your servant Pope John Paul
who governed your Church with love.
In your mercy bring him
with the flock entrusted to his care
to the reward you have promised
your faithful servants.
Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen

Powered by Blogger